A Letter to My Future Self

Hello, it’s me again. I’ve decided to cut you some slack since I’ve been a little bit unfair recently. You are going to be dealing with some big changes soon and I understand that’s stressful stuff to be dealing with. The last thing that you need is some 17 year old telling you how to live your life, we both know all that’s going to do is make it worse.

I want you to take a second and breathe. We both know that you forget to do that sometimes, and it scares the hell out of everyone around you, so breathe; it’s really important. You have an amazing support system and I know you know that. Granted, that support system might change every once and awhile, but you will always have someone in your life that’s rooting for you. Let’s remember that Mom and Dad are more “team Tiana” than you are.

Remember when Mom and Dad sat through your middle school graduation. Grade 8, that was a big milestone. You could hear them from the back of the gym yelling and screaming to try and get your attention as you walked up the stage. They were so proud of you, and I can tell you that you have made so many people so proud. You’ve graduated, you’re well travelled now, and you’ve made some amazing friends. The only thing left to do is take the step over the line into your new chapter of your life.

You’ve been working towards these changes your whole life and I know it’s terrifying to know a whole chapter of your life is coming to a close.Remember, while you’ve been working your whole life for this, you’re not going to die if it doesn’t live up to your expectations or if it exceeds what you’re prepared for.

I’m going to remind you of a secret that we learned not to long ago, but one that perhaps you have forgotten. Taking a step towards something new doesn’t mean you have to get rid of everything else at the same time. Experience the new things; embrace them, but don’t forget about where you come from, where you grew up, and what life used to be like. It’s okay to miss the past, but if you hold onto it you’re only going to get hurt.

Keep in touch with your sister, I know you don’t need me to tell you that, but it seems important for me to say anyways.

Experience the world you’ve been craving, the world is much bigger than the bubble you’ve grown up in. I promise we’ll see the beauty in it more than most.

Love: Your Younger Self

This concept is something that we covered at the beginning of the year in creative writing. The original letter that I wrote to my future self was mean, bitter, and overall angry. I really want to graduate and put this time in my life behind me, hence why the first letter was written the way it was. I was thinking about the future and what I wish I could ask the future version of myself the other day and I remembered the letters we did at the beginning of the year. My tone had shifted to a much nicer, more understanding version of myself, so I decided to try the letter again and see what came out of it. While I’m nervous for the future and what going away for Lethbridge is going to mean for me and my friendships; I’m more excited to be able to live and gain the independence that I’m missing right now.

Image